Arroz Con Gandules
Strain peas in a colander into a small bowl reserving water. Set peas aside and transfer water to a small pot. Add two cups water and one Sazon seasoning packet. Cover and bring to boil over medium low heat. Remove from heat and set aside.
Heat oil over medium high heat. Stir in sofrito, Sazon seasoning packet, ham seasoning, olives, garlic and onion. Mix well and sauté for approximately 3 minutes. Add peas, tomato sauce and black pepper. Continue to mix well.
Add rice to pot mix with peas mixture. Increase heat to high and stir fry rice for 3-5 minutes. Smooth rice over along the bottom of the pot and add 2 cups of reserved water. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook for 25-30 minutes. Fluff rice with fork and mix peas into rice. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- 3 cups long grain rice
- 3 heaping tbsp frozen sofrito
- 1 - 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 packets Sazon seasoning
- 1 packet smoked ham (jamon de cocinar) seasoning
- 2 - 15 ounce cans green pigeon peas (gandules verdes)
- 1 cup green olives, stuffed with pimentos
- 5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan, plus more for serving
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp black pepper