Cheesy Picadillo Jalapeño Peppers
Preheat oven to 350°.
Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add onions and garlic. Sauté until fragrant. Add ground beef and crumble in skillet. Cook beef until browned. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in tomatoes sauce and sugar. Mix well and cover. Reduce heat to low and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
Line jalapeño pepper halves cavity facing up on a baking sheet. Using a small spoon, stuff each cavity with ground beef mixture. Top peppers with cheese and transfer to oven. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until cheese melts.
- 10 medium jalapeño peppers, halved lengthwise, seeds and membranes removed
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef or turkey
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 4 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese